Sunday, August 10, 2014

8/9 and 8/10

8/9
Lately I have been very interested in classical music.  In particular 20th century classical music.  I have been reading a lot about the atonal movement.  My favorite composers are Schoenberg, Berg and Messian. I think it is very interesting.  All of these pieces have no tonal center and are instead written serially.  They do not sound like a normal classical piece.  In the early 1900's Schoenberg developed the 12 tone technique to write atonal music.  You would take the twelve tones on the piano (C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, and B) and arrange them in a random order.  That order would have to be the order for the whole piece.  You can't go back and play a note again until you have completed the order.  You are however allowed to go back on note from the one you are currently on.  You also can play the notes in any octave and play the pattern backwards.  This type of classical music is not for everyone but I enjoy it very much.  My favorite pieces are Schoenberg's Piano Concerto, Berg's Chamber Concerto for Piano, Violin and 13 Wind Instruments, and Messian's Turangalila Symphony.
8/10
Sandy got groomed the other day.  She always looks really good after she gets a bath and gets her hair cut.  The person who grooms her always does a good job.  Sandy can't get really dirty really fast.  She loves to play in the grass outside.  I really enjoy having sandy around the house.  Its nice having someone to play with all the time.  She's a really big dog.  She weighs a good 80 pounds.  She could definitely scare away a burglar but she wouldn't hurt a fly.  I am really glad Mom choose to get Sandy from the shelter.  She is definitely part of our family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am aware of atonal music, but did not know anything about it really until I read your blog! Very interesting.
I agree - Sandy contributes a lot to the family. Grandma