Monday, August 6, 2012

Camp

Today was the first day of my acting camp.  We are doing a play called "Just So".  It is about Rudyard Kipling and some his works including "Just So".  It is semi-biographical about his life too.  His son, John, wanted to be in world war one but he had bad eye sight so he was turned down.  After being turned down three times Rudyard pulls some strings to get him into the army.  He goes to Fredrick Roberts and gets him to meet with his son John.  I play Fredrick Roberts.  He is a real person.  He is one of the most decorated generals in British military history.  Here is a Wikipedia page about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Frederick_Roberts.  I really like the camp and am excited for more of it tomorrow.  After I got home from camp Cece and I hung out for a while.  It was a really good day.
你好。我完篮球。你完篮球吗? 我爱音乐。你爱音乐? 我是很高。你是很高吗? 我是美国人。 你是美过人。 谢谢你。

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Have you read any of Kipling's books? I remember about his son, in fact I think I have read this play or this book. Grandma
ps. Delighted to know that you are still high.

Karen said...

Hi John -
I am enjoying the online translations of your Chinese. They always make me chuckle. In answer to your questions (or rather the questions the translator came up with):

basketball - I'm not sure how I'm supposed to "finish the basketball"

music - loved playing the piano and I miss it. These days with my illness I can't listen to music much at all. I'm really glad you enjoy it.

tall/high - Grandma may be delighted that you are still high, but I think you may need to enter rehab soon! As for being tall - I am just the right height!!

The translators struggle with the end of your writing, in particular, the line after telling us that you are American and before thanking us. One translator yields: "You are beautiful." (why thank you, John :). Another translates it as: "You US extraordinary." which doesn't make much sense to me.

书写的感谢!爱你。
-karen